– LEATHER SEWING CLASS –
LEARN HOW TO PROFESSIONALLY SEW LEATHER WITH INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINES
– Beginners & Intermediates –
One teacher, three students
Please select your preferred date(s) through the button below
2 meetings of 6 hours each (12 hours in total)
Course materials included (worth £30)
Beginners, beginners with previous experience and intermediate sewers.
LEARN HOW TO SEW LEATHER WITH A MACHINE: WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a mostly practical one to three tuition during which you will be taught the essential skills of sewing leather with and industrial sewing machine and the basic, most popular construction techniques used in bag and accessory making.
Through the lesson you will also receive some basic training on how to mark, cut and glue leather as well as how to construct common bag features.
At the end of the tuition, you will have gained confidence in sewing leather with industrial sewing machines and have the skills to realise some simple items independently.
You will learn how to troubleshoot sewing problems and how to manage challenges such as curves, multiple layers of leather, stretchy/rough/slippery surfaces and more.
You will learn how to sew basic components of a bag such us some types of simple zips, straps and gussets.
You will produce your own samples of work to take home with you.
As this is a one to three tuition, the experience will be customised to your ability and previous experience.
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
Below is a list of topics covered during the classes:
– Industrial machines: differences and main features
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material or construction
– To operate a lock stitch walking foot machine
– To thread industrial sewing machines
– To understand how to obtain the correct tension in your sewing
– To use various tools and equipment in your sewing
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– To learn how to correctly sew leather and how this differs from sewing other materials
– Sewing thin vs thick leather
– To learn how to sew straight lines, curves and parallel lines
– To produce a range of basic seams, seam finishes, construction, continuous and reinforced seams
– To handle sewing multiple layers of leather
– Learn how to sew and finish a simple zip on leather
– Learn how to cut, assemble and sew simple straps and handles
– How to incorporate two types of lining in your project
– How to mark, cut and glue leather
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
We will always try to cover as much on the syllabus as possible and depending on your ability and previous experience, we might not be able to complete the program or we might instead be able to teach you additional techniques relating to the above listed topics, such as:
– Finishing techniques (piping, binding, folding)
– Learn how to assemble and sew simple gussets
– Learn how to sew and finish more complex zips styles
– Learn how to sew and finish more complex straps and handles styles
– Learn how to construct button holes & pockets
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– An illustrated guide providing crucial information of sewing machines types and components
– A glossary containing information about needles, thread types and essential key words related to the topics of the lesson
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for total beginners, beginners with some previous basic machine sewing experience and intermediate sewers (either using industrial or domestic machines).
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
Materials are included.
Feel free to bring a notepad, if you would like to take some notes, we will provide the rest.
FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TUITION
CANCELLATION AND REARRANGEMENT POLICY
If you wish to cancel your group class, please do so ASAP via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full refunds are only offered if the cancellation is requested no less than eight weeks before the event date.
Cancellations requested between eight and four weeks before the course start date will result in a 50% refund of the course cost on the condition that we have filled your place.
For cancellations requested less than four weeks before the event, unfortunately, we cannot offer any kind of refund and the class cannot be rescheduled.
We reserve the right to cancel a group class when the required minimum enrollment is not met.
If a group class has to be cancelled by us, we will offer the choice of a full refund, credit or the opportunity to book an alternative date (if available). We will provide as much notice as possible.
All communication regarding cancellations and rearrangements of your lesson must be in writing via email.
Please provide all details in your email for us to be able to organise a refund. All refunds must be made to the original payment method used.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Cutting material is usually done standing at a high table and you might be working with special glues, knives and with heavy duty industrial sewing machines.
If you have a breathing problem, any health condition we should be aware of or if any of the above might be difficult for you, please inform us as soon as possible.
You will receive Health and Safety instructions for using the studio and its equipment and you will be asked to sign a risk and liability form at the end of the induction.
Sadly, our studio is on the first floor and we do not have wheelchair facilities. We are very sorry, unfortunately, this is not within our control or choice.