– LEATHER SEWING CLASS –
INTRODUCTION ON HOW TO SEW LEATHER WITH INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINES
– BEGINNERS –
One teacher, five students
Please select your preferred date(s) through the button below
6 hours – £170
Course materials included
Complete beginners and beginners with some previous experience
LEARN HOW TO SEW LEATHER WITH A SEWING MACHINE: WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a practical introductory one to five tuition during which you will be taught the essential skills of sewing leather and some of the basic construction techniques used in bag and accessory making.
At the end of the tuition you will have gained confidence in sewing leather with industrial sewing machines and have the skills to realise some simple items independently.
You will learn how to troubleshoot common sewing problems and how to manage challenges such as straight lines, curves and multiple layers of leather.
Through the lesson you will also receive some basic training on how to mark, cut and glue leather.
You will produce your own samples of work to take home with you.
As this is a small group tuition, the experience will be customised to your ability.
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
Below is a list of topics covered during the classes:
– Industrial machines: differences and main features
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material or construction
– To operate a lock stitch walking foot machine
– To thread industrial sewing machines
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– To understand how to obtain the correct tension in your sewing
– To learn how to correctly sew leather with a sewing machine and how this differs from sewing other materials
– To learn how to sew straight lines, curves and parallel lines
– To produce a range of basic seams and seam finishes
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
We will always try to cover as much on the syllabus as possible and depending on your ability and previous experience, we might not be able to complete the program or we might instead be able to teach you additional techniques relating to the above listed topics.
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– An illustrated guide providing crucial information of sewing machine types and components
– A glossary containing essential key words related to the topics of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about needle and thread types
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for total beginners and beginners with some very basic experience in machine sewing (either with industrial or domestic machines).
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.