– PRIVATE ONE TO TWO TUITION –
A PRACTICAL COURSE TO LEARN PROFESSIONAL LEATHER CRAFT SKILLS
ONE TEACHER – TWO STUDENTS
During our working hours
Slots available from 4 weeks after purchasing the tuition
£34 per hour, per person
No previous experience required
WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a one to two private, customised practical course during which you will be taught the basic skills of working with leather.
You will be be able to pick and choose the skills you would like to learn from a wide range of topics.
You could, for example, be shown different sewing machines and exercise on them, you could learn how to use specific tools for splitting, cutting, marking and fastening fittings, you could be taught the differences between different leather types and how to finish them professionally based on their features or you could learn essential techniques to deal with tricky features of the construction of leather goods and much more.
The course has the aim of helping you gain confidence on the topics you are interested in and in your own time, following a program we organise and define together on the day.
This workshop for two is a unique way to build a set of skills and broaden your knowledge with a master craftswomen in a fully equipped artisan studio.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This private leather craft skill course is intended for professional people looking to expand their skill set as well as amateurs looking to gain a general understanding of the basic techniques used in the leather goods industry.
HOW DOES YOUR ONE TO TWO CLASS WORK?
This class can be purchased for yourself and a partner of your choice or can be bought as a gift for others.
The attending couple will be able to customise the tuition to their needs by choosing the topics, the length of the course as well as their preferred day and time.
You can book multiple meetings and each meeting can be 2, 3 or 4 consecutive hours long.
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
You will be able to choose the topics you are more interested in from the following range:
– Understanding leather: overviews on types of leather, tanning, finishings and best use
– Leather preparation, marking and cutting
– Using leather glues and paints
– Skiving, beveling, burnishing, creasing
– Finishing leather edges: painting vs burnishing
– Different closure techniques: sam browns, magnets, pop buttons, etc
– The use of reinforcements to back leather
– Using leather punches and knives
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material
– To thread different industrial sewing machines
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– To learn how to professionally sew leather with industrial machines
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes
– To sew and finish zips on leather
– Learning how to cut and sew different types of straps and handles
– Lining handbags and accessories with and without top facing using fabric and/or suede
At the end of the tuition you will be able to take home with you any sample work you might have created.
We will always try to cover as much on the syllabus as possible and depending on your ability and experience, we might be able to teach you additional techniques relating to the above listed topics.
CAN THE LESSON BE TAILORED TO SOMETHING SPECIFIC THAT IS NOT AMONG THE LIST OF TOPICS?
If you have a specific idea in mind for an item to be created, a technique you need the get the grasp of or some specific skills to be learnt, this can also be arranged through a fully customised tuition.
You can find all information about this type of tuition here: FULLY CUSTOMISED TUITION
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INCLUDE?
The course includes the cost of the tuition, the private use of the whole workshop and its tools as well as materials to exercise with.
If this is a surprise gift for your loved one, we can create a digital invitation with your personalised message, just send us an email with your order number and what you would like us to write!
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for complete beginners, people with some basic experience of machine sewing, intermediate and advanced sewers.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
Materials from our stock and to exercise with are included in the course.
WHEN CAN THIS COURSE BE ARRANGED?
As this is private tuition, you can choose the length of the tuition, the day(s) and time(s) to come and learn from us that suits you best, within our working hours/days.
Monday to Friday
Selected Sundays (please note that the availability for these days is limited and therefore the waiting time to book a slot for these days is generally longer)
Available time slots (9am-7pm):
Afternoon to evening slot
Time slot length:
Slots are available for 2, 3 or 4 hours in a row.
We are generally able to book you in for your sessions around a month from when you have contacted us after purchasing the course.
Of course, we will always try to accommodate your needs and book you in the closest time possible, but we get fully booked quite quickly and therefore please make sure to contact us promptly to reserve your slot(s).
BOOK YOUR LESSON!
PRIVATE ONE TO ONE TUITION
After purchasing your tuition you will be sent a link for you to book your preferred day(s) and time slot(s).
Slots available from 4 weeks after purchasing the tuition
ARE YOU LOOKING TO BUY THIS TUITION AS A GIFT?
Contact us after purchasing the tuition and we will create a personalised digital voucher for you!
FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TUITION
CANCELLATION AND REARRANGEMENT POLICY
If you wish to cancel or modify your private lesson, please do so ASAP via email to: email@example.com.
Full refunds are only offered if the cancellation is requested no less than three weeks before the event date.
We give our customers the possibility to rearrange their private lesson(s) when giving at least 48 hours notice.
In case of unforeseen circumstances, and the cancellation being requested the day before the lesson, we won’t be able to give a refund, but we will offer a 50% discount on a future booking.
In the unlikely event that a workshop has to be cancelled by TLLW, we will offer the choice of a full refund, a credit or the opportunity to book an alternative date. We will provide as much notice as possible.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Cutting material is usually done standing at a high table and you might be working with special glues, knives and with heavy duty industrial sewing machines.
If you have a breathing problem, any health condition we should be aware of or if any of the above might be difficult for you, please inform us as soon as possible.
You will receive Health and Safety instructions for using the studio and its equipment and you will be asked to sign a risk and liability form at the end of the induction.
Sadly, our studio is on the first floor and we do not have wheelchair facilities. We are very sorry, unfortunately, this is not within our control or choice.
Wifi is not provided but there is a coffee shop with Wifi nearby.
Teas and coffees will be provided by us.
For 3+ hours long sessions we will have a 15 minutes break, for 6+ hours long sessions we will have a half hour lunch break.
There are two coffee shops and free parking spaces on site.
We run a variety of courses which are related to this topic and that would allow you to expand your knowledge. Please find the complete list of courses HERE.
We also provide the opportunity for people to practise on our sewing machines, tools and studio space.
We reserve a special discount for people who have previously been a student of ours. If you book any of our courses or our drop-in service within 6 months from the completion of a class, you will receive 10% off your next booking.
Our names are Sara and Melissa and we are the founders and owners of The London Leather Workshop.
With 20 years of experience in the field, we offer services in designing, prototyping and manufacturing of leather, vegan leather and fabric bags and accessories to national and international customers, from start-ups to established brands.
We discovered our passion for teaching while training people during our working careers in Italy and the UK and have been training students for the past ten years.
Through The London Leather Workshop, we teach our expertise, knowledge and skills to amateur leather craftspeople, people who have an interest in developing a career in this field, as well as professionals looking to improve their skill-set.
With a personal, friendly and flexible approach, we support students in realising a specific project or learning skills in a variety of subjects through both private and group classes.
Despite the end of Covid restrictions in the UK, we ask all our customers to be considerate when attending a meeting or a class at our studio.
Besides the disruption to our services that being impacted by Covid would bring us, some of us are also in the high-risk category with underlining health conditions that make Covid a threat.
The studio is a small and busy environment therefore, as it is very hard to keep social distance during classes, we ask all our customers to take all possible precautions.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES BEFORE AND DURING EACH CLASS:
– A negative lateral Covid test is no longer a requirement for our students before the lesson.
Nevertheless, we will keep testing daily and we would highly appreciate it if you could test before the class too.
– If you need to cancel your class because you tested positive or are showing symptoms, we will reschedule at the earliest convenience. In order to reschedule your lesson because of Covid, we will need to see proof of the positive test.
We would also appreciate it if you could reschedule your class if you have had contact with someone who has tested positive in the previous week.
– For everyone’s safety, we now require the use of a FF2 face mask covering both mouth and nose at all times, which we can provide on arrival if you don’t have one. If you are exempt we will need to see proof of your exemption, sent to us via email before the lesson. In this case, and in order to avoid others from feeling uncomfortable and maintain safety, it would be appreciated if you could use a face shield instead of a mask. We will provide this too, if you don’t have one.
– Hand sanitiser will be provided and everyone is required to use it on arrival. If you are allergic, you will be requested to wash your hands or to bring your own antibacterial product for your hands.
– Windows will be left open to allow for air circulation, please make sure to be dressed accordingly in winter.
– Food and drinks will need to be consumed outside of the studio.
– Surfaces will be cleaned before and after each lesson.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation in prioritising everyone’s safety in this complex time.