CREATE YOUR UPCYCLED LEATHER ITEM – One to one tuition
At our studio (map)
During our working hours
View our available dates at the checkout
From £34 per hour
The final cost depends on the complexity of your project
All levels are welcome
WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a one to one customised course during which you will be taught the basic skills of working with leather and create a unique item by upcycling your old leather bag, jacket or skirt!
The course has the aim to help you gain confidence in sewing leather, understanding the major difference between various types of leather, working tools and learning essential techniques to deal with tricky features of leather goods construction.
You will create your own new leather good and you will produce your own samples of work to take home with you!
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
Depending on the project, here some examples of things you could learn during the time together:
– Analising limits and possibilities of the available materials
– Designing your own item
– Adapting and/or creating patterns
– Leather and fabric preparing, cutting, finishing techniques
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material
– To thread different industrial sewing machines
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– To learn how to sew leather
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes
– To sew and finish zips on leather
– Lining a handbag and accessories
– Learning how to sew different types of straps and to use suitable fastenings and fittings
– Sewing different types of seams
– Different closure techniques
– Using leather glues, paint, stamps, knives
– Realising your own personalised item
Depending on the nature of the project, you might not be able to learn all the above. Please let us know if you are interested in a specific aspect of working with leather and we will tailor the project accordingly.
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND WHAT IS THE LEVEL?
This course is suitable for beginners, people with some basic experience of machine sewing, intermediate and advanced sewers.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions as well as have hands and leg mobility.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
You will provide with the materials by bringing the item you would like to upcycle into something new.
Materials such us threads, glues and reinforcements are included in the course costs but not leather, in case you need some extra to complete your item.
In this scenario you are welcome to buy some leather from us or to source it elsewhere.
If you have any specific requirements, please contact us to make sure we have the materials you are looking for.