– LEATHER CRAFT AND SEWING SKILLS –
MASTERCLASS: LEARN PROFESSIONAL LEATHER CRAFT, SEWING AND LEATHERGOODS CONSTRUCTION SKILLS
One teacher, five students
KEY FEATURES OF THIS COURSE:
– Understanding and working with leather
– Learning leather hand sewing
– Learning leather machine sewing
– Realising samples of bag features
– Realising two finished leather items
Two consecutive weeks / Mon-Fri 10 am-3 pm
Please select your preferred date(s) through the button below
Beginners and beginners with some previous sewing experience
Experience a comprehensive two-week Leather Craft and Sewing Masterclass, merging theory with hands-on learning
Explore essential techniques for working with leather, vegan alternatives, and fabric. Proficiently handle hand tools, master hand-sewing, and operate industrial machines. Cover material selection, finishing and construction methods.
Gain insights into the technical aspects of leatherworking, including preparation, marking, cutting, gluing, reinforcing, skiving, debossing, and more.
Participants receive thorough instruction in professional sewing techniques on diverse industrial machines, along with specialised saddle stitching training. Create personalised samples to enhance practical skills.
Conclude the masterclass with the ability to craft entirely handmade simple leather items, showcasing acquired skills in both machine-stitched and saddle-stitched styles.
Facilitated by a prototype maker and manufacturer, the course offers a professional journey into common leatherworking practices.
Participants also receive valuable handouts and curated lists of leather and tool suppliers for ongoing reference.
Here is a concise summary of the topics covered during the classes:
LEATHER, VEGAN LEATHER, AND HAND TOOLS:
Understanding leather types, tanning, finishings and best use
Exploring different types of vegan leathers and their features
Comparing leather and vegan leather: pros and cons from a manufacturer’s perspective
Importance of choosing the right materials and tools for projects
Leather preparation, pattern placement and marking
Cutting complex shapes with various tools
Using leather punches, skiving, beveling and creasing
Finishing leather edges: painting vs. burnishing
Utilising leather glues, tapes and reinforcements
Exploration of prototyping and manufacturing leather goods, encompassing varied working methods, machines, and tools.
MACHINE AND HAND SEWING:
Understanding industrial sewing machines and their differences
Selecting the right sewing machine for specific materials and constructions
Operating a lock stitch walking foot machine
Threading industrial sewing machines
Achieving correct tension in sewing
Understanding thread types and needle sizes
Learning to sew leather, distinguishing it from other materials
Correctly sewing various leather types, ranging from thin to very thick
Sewing straight lines, curves and creating parallel seams
Producing various seams and seam finishes
Basics of saddle stitching leather and understanding related tools and materials
Sewing and finishing a simple zip on leather
Cutting, assembling and sewing simple straps/handles
Incorporating basic lining types in projects
Constructing and sewing common gussets
Comprehending the use of reinforcements and stabilisers and their application in the craft of accessory making
LEATHER GOODS MAKING:
Creating two finalised leather items from chosen designs such as card holders, purses, clutches, glass covers and similar accessories.#
By the end of the tuition, you will have:
– Developed confidence in utilising specific tools for leather preparation, marking, finishing, cutting and fastening fittings.
– Acquired an understanding of working with diverse leather types and thicknesses, with the ability to source and select appropriate tools and materials for your projects.
– Mastered essential leather sewing techniques, troubleshooting common sewing issues and handling challenges such as curves, multiple layers of leather and various surface textures.
– Learned to sew fundamental bag components like simple zips, straps, and gussets, along with reinforcing specific areas of a bag.
– Built confidence in sewing with both industrial machines and by hand, gaining the skills to independently create simple leather items.
Included in the course:
You will be provided with useful paper handouts which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (physically in London and online)
– A glossary containing essential key words related to the topic of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics
– A glossary containing information about needle and thread types
What are the entry requirements?
This course is suitable for total beginners, beginners with some experience and intermediate.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
Are there any other costs?
Materials are included.
Is there anything I need to bring?
Feel free to bring a notepad, if you would like to take some notes, we will provide the rest.
How long is this tuition?:
This tuition will require two consecutive weeks / 50 hours to be completed.
We aim to provide customised and high quality tuition services and by only allowing up to 5 students at a time, we are able to focus on each person needs and interests.