LEARN PROFESSIONAL LEATHER SEWING SKILLS AND CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES – one to one tuition
WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a one to one course during which you will be taught the basic skills of working with leather.
You will be shown different sewing machines and understand their differences, benefits and limitations. You will also learn how to use specific tools for splitting, cutting, finishing and fastening fittings.
The course has the aim to help you gain confidence in sewing leather, understanding the major difference between various types of leather, working tools and learning essential techniques to deal with tricky features of leather goods construction.
You will work with suede, thin and medium thickness leather in order to gain the specific, vital skills required for your leather sewing project.
You will produce your own samples of work to take home with you.
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
The course is divided into three consecutive parts of four hours each, but you can decide to attend either one, two or the all three of them.
During the course, you will be able to focus on specific things you might be more interested in.
Below is a list of topics covered during the course (part 1):
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material
– To thread different industrial sewing machines
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– Leather preparation, marking and cutting
– To learn how to sew leather
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes
– To sew and finish zips on leather
We will always try to cover as much on the syllabus as possible and depending on your ability and experience in sewing, we might be able to teach you additional techniques relating to the above listed topics.
CURIOUS TO KNOW WHAT IS TAUGHT DURING PART 2 AND 3 OF THIS COURSE?
– Learning how to cut and sew different types of straps and handles
– Using leather glues and paints
– Skiving, burnishing and edge painting leather
– Different closure techniques: sam browns, magnets, pop buttons etc.
– The use of reinforcements to back leather.
– Using leather punches and knives.
– Lining handbags and accessories with and without top facing using fabric and suede
– Creating, adapting and customising simple patterns for handbags: clutch, make up bag, tote, shopper
– Creating, adapting and customising simple patterns for small accessories: purse, wallet, card holder
– Realising your own customised simple leather item by using the techniques learned in the previous lessons (depending on your previous experience in sewing this might not be possible within the 4 hours. A slot of an extra 4 hours can be booked in order to complete, or start and complete, your own leather project)
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (physically in London and online)
– A glossary containing essential key words related to the topic of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for people with some basic experience of machine sewing, intermediate and advanced sewers.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
Materials are included, except for the ones needed to create your own leather item.
If you are creating a leather item, you can either purchase the materials from us at a discounted price or we can advise you on what materials to buy and where to find them.
Buying them from us, you will receive a 10% discount on all materials. Our leather skins and offcuts are the cheapest in London but our stock is limited.
To give an idea of costs, you could be looking at about an extra £20 to make a clutch/makeup bag.
If you have any specific requirements, please contact us to make sure we have the materials you are looking for.
ON THE DAY:
Teas and coffees will be provided by us.
For 3+ hours long sessions we will have a 15 minutes break, for 6+ hours long sessions we will have a half hour lunch break.
There are two coffee shops and free parking spaces on site.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
Our classes are refundable and can be rearranged, provided 48 hours notice before the start date of the lesson(s) is given.
In case of cancellation, the payment will be sent back within 48 hours from when the cancellation has been provided in writing.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you can’t attend, thank you.
Cutting material is usually done standing at a high table and you might be working with special glues, knives and with heavy duty industrial sewing machines.
If you have a breathing problem, any health condition we should be aware of or if any of the above might be difficult for you, please inform us as soon as possible.
You will receive Health and Safety instructions for using the studio and its equipment and you will be asked to sign a risk and liability form at the end of the induction.
Sadly, our studio is on the first floor and we do not have wheelchair facilities. We are very sorry, unfortunately, this is not within our control or choice.
Wifi is not provided but there is a coffee shop with Wifi nearby.
ABOUT THE TEACHERS
Our names are Sara and Melissa and we are the founders and owners of The London Leather Workshop.
With 15 years of experience in sewing, designing and pattern making, we discovered our passion for teaching while training people during our working careers.
We have both studied fashion and costume in Italy, as well as worked for different small to medium size Italian brands on both designing and sampling positions, gaining a wide range of skills.
After the Italian years, we moved to London in 2011, where we had the possibility to learn different approaches to creativity and practical knowledge in the fashion and design world.
During our careers, we worked in the leather goods, accessories, textile, evening dresses and bridal high-end markets as designers, sample makers and product developers. We also gained experience in fashion, graphic design and illustration.
Our approach is personal, friendly and flexible and we support students and startups looking for a creative environment by offering multiple services at reasonable prices.
We are two passionate friends that love teaching others and hope to transmit our love for the arts and crafts!
INTERESTED IN OUR ONE TO ONE TUITION?
ASK FOR OUR AVAILABILITY BUY USING THE FORM AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU SHORTLY!
WONDERING WHAT OTHERS REALISED?
WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?
We run a variety of courses which are related to this topic and that would allow you to expand your knowledge. Please find the complete list of courses HERE.
We also provide private tuition as well as the opportunity for people to practise on our sewing machines.
We reserve a special discount for people who have previously been a student of ours. If you book any of our courses or our drop-in service within 6 months from the completion of a class, you will receive 10% off your next booking.