LEARN HOW TO SEW LEATHER APPLIQUÈS AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECORATED CLUTCH – one to one tuition
During our working hours
Slots available from 4 weeks after purchasing the tuition
From £180 – 6 hours
Some basic experience of using sewing machines is required
WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a customised course during which you will learn how to cut, assemble and sew leather appliqués to your specifications.
By the end of the course you will have made your own personalised decorated leather clutch bag and be able to take it home with you.
You will also produce your own samples of work to take home with you.
WHAT IS A LEATHER APPLIQUÉ?
A leather appliqué is a decorative technique to create a textured design to a fabric or leather background, realised by composing multiple pieces together.
Appliqués are created by hand cutting each individual piece, assembling all pieces into the final arrangement that recreates the initial design and then each part is stitched to the background.
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
Here some examples of things you could learn during our time together:
– Understanding the work behind designing and creating an appliqué decoration
– Marking, cutting, assembling and sewing appliqués
– Choosing the right materials
– Leather and fabric preparation, cutting and finishing techniques
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– To learn how to sew leather
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes
– Lining a bag
– Learning how to sew a zip and to use suitable fastenings and fittings
– Different closure techniques
– Using leather glues, paint and knives
Depending on the nature of the project, your previous experience and personal skills, you might not be able to learn all of the above.
On the day you will be given the option of different types of appliqué patterns and you will be able to pick and choose the final arrangement, colours and materials.
The complexity of the appliqué decoration that you will realise will depend on your previous sewing experience.
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (physically in London and online)
– A glossary containing essential key words related to the topic of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for people with some basic experience of machine sewing, intermediate and advanced sewers.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
Materials are not included but you can either purchase them from us or buy them from other suppliers.
If you prefer to bring you own, just let us know when booking and make sure the leather is not thicker than 1-1.2mm.
Our leather skins and offcuts are the cheapest in London but our stock is limited. Our leather is sourced from Italian brands’ end of production surplus and also from small Italian tanneries when they change their stock of leather skins. The stock is being continuously changed and therefore you will be choosing from colours, textures and types of leathers available at the studio. To have an idea of the leathers we can provide, please visit our dedicated page: https://www.thelondonleatherworkshop.com/leathers/
If you are looking for something in particular that we don’t stock, we will provide you with a list of suppliers to buy materials from and advice on what to buy for your specific project once you have purchased your lesson.
WHEN CAN THIS COURSE BE ARRANGED?
As this is private tuition, you can choose the day(s) and time(s) to come and learn from us that suits you best, within our working hours/days.
Monday to Friday
Selected Sundays (please note that the availability for these days is limited and therefore the waiting time to book a slot for these days is generally longer)
Available time slots:
Afternoon to evening slot
Time slot length:
Slots are available for 2, 3 or 4 hours in a row.
We are generally able to book you in for your sessions around a month from when you have contacted us after purchasing the course.
Of course, we will always try to accommodate your needs and book you in the closest time possible, but we get fully booked quite quickly and therefore please make sure to contact us promptly to reserve your slot(s)!
In line with the UK Government guidelines and following the Covid Center instructions formulated to provide safety inside teaching practices, please find our coronavirus requirements in order to attend a class at our studio at the following link: https://www.thelondonleatherworkshop.com/covid-19-safety-measures/
BOOK YOUR LESSON!
LEARN HOW TO SEW LEATHER APPLIQUÈS AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECORATED CLUTCH
After purchasing your tuition you will be sent a link for you to book your preferred day(s) and time slot(s).
Slots available from 4 weeks after purchasing the tuition
FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TUITION
CANCELLATION AND REARRANGEMENT POLICY
If you wish to cancel or modify your private lesson, please do so ASAP via email to: email@example.com.
Full refunds are only offered if the cancellation is requested no less than three weeks before the event date.
We give our customers the possibility to rearrange their private lesson(s) when giving at least 48 hours notice.
In case of unforeseen circumstances, and the cancellation being requested the day before the lesson, we won’t be able to give a refund, but we will offer a 50% discount on a future booking.
In the unlikely event that a workshop has to be cancelled by TLLW, we will offer the choice of a full refund, a credit or the opportunity to book an alternative date. We will provide as much notice as possible.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Cutting material is usually done standing at a high table and you might be working with special glues, knives and with heavy duty industrial sewing machines.
If you have a breathing problem, any health condition we should be aware of or if any of the above might be difficult for you, please inform us as soon as possible.
You will receive Health and Safety instructions for using the studio and its equipment and you will be asked to sign a risk and liability form at the end of the induction.
Sadly, our studio is on the first floor and we do not have wheelchair facilities. We are very sorry, unfortunately, this is not within our control or choice.
Wifi is not provided but there is a coffee shop with Wifi nearby.
Teas and coffees will be provided by us.
For 3+ hours long sessions we will have a 15 minutes break, for 6+ hours long sessions we will have a half hour lunch break.
There are two coffee shops and free parking spaces on site.
We run a variety of courses which are related to this topic and that would allow you to expand your knowledge. Please find the complete list of courses HERE.
We also provide the opportunity for people to practise on our sewing machines, tools and studio space.
We reserve a special discount for people who have previously been a student of ours. If you book any of our courses or our drop-in service within 6 months from the completion of a class, you will receive 10% off your next booking.
Our names are Sara and Melissa and we are the founders and owners of The London Leather Workshop.
With 20 years of experience in the field, we offer services in designing, prototyping and manufacturing of leather, vegan leather and fabric bags and accessories to national and international customers, from start-ups to established brands.
We discovered our passion for teaching while training people during our working careers in Italy and the UK and have been training students for the past ten years.
Through The London Leather Workshop, we teach our expertise, knowledge and skills to amateur leather craftspeople, people who have an interest in developing a career in this field, as well as professionals looking to improve their skill-set.
With a personal, friendly and flexible approach, we support students in realising a specific project or learning skills in a variety of subjects through both private and group classes.
Despite the end of Covid restrictions in the UK, we ask all our customers to be considerate when attending a meeting or a class at our studio.
Besides the disruption to our services that being impacted by Covid would bring us, some of us are also in the high risk category with underlining health conditions that make Covid a threat.
The studio is a small and busy environment therefore, as it is very hard to keep social distance during classes, we ask all our customers to take all possible precautions.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES BEFORE AND DURING EACH CLASS:
– A negative lateral Covid test is no longer a requirement for our students before the lesson.
Nevertheless, we will keep testing daily and we would highly appreciate it if you could test before the class too.
– If you need to cancel your class because you tested positive or are showing symptoms, we will reschedule at the earliest convenience. In order to reschedule your lesson because of Covid, we will need to see proof of the positive test.
We would also appreciate it if you could reschedule your class if you have had contact with someone who has tested positive in the previous week.
– For everyone’s safety, we now require the use of a FF2 face mask covering both mouth and nose at all times, which we can provide on arrival if you don’t have one. If you are exempt we will need to see proof of your exemption, sent to us via email before the lesson. In this case, and in order to avoid others from feeling uncomfortable and maintain safety, it would be appreciated if you could use a face shield instead of a mask. We will provide this too, if you don’t have one.
– Hand sanitiser will be provided and everyone is required to use it on arrival. If you are allergic, you will be requested to wash your hands or to bring your own antibacterial product for your hands.
– Windows will be left open to allow for air circulation, please make sure to be dressed accordingly in winter.
– Food and drinks will need to be consumed outside of the studio.
– Surfaces will be cleaned before and after each lesson.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation in prioritising everyone’s safety in this complex time.