– LEATHER CRAFT WORKSHOP-
INTRODUCTION TO LEARNING LEATHER CRAFT SKILLS
One teacher, four students
Please select your preferred date(s) through the button below
One meeting of 6.5 hours
Course materials included (worth £20)
Beginners and beginners with some previous experience
LEARN LEATHER CRAFT TECHNIQUES: WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a theoretical and practical introductory group tuition during which you will be taught common, essential leather crafting and basic sewing techniques.
You will be taught how to correctly use hand tools, how to hand sew leather and understand the most common finishing techniques used in bag and accessory making.
You will learn about different types of leather and understand how to select the correct type of material(s) for your project.
You will receive an overview of the technical aspects of working with leather and constructing bags and accessories such as preparing, marking, cutting, gluing, reinforcing, debossing and more.
You will produce your own samples of work to take home with you.
You will receive relevant, useful and informative handouts as well as lists of leather and tool suppliers.
This is a professional course delivered by a prototype maker and manufacturer, with the aim of providing an overview and hands-on experience on more common leather working practices.
At the end of the tuition you will have:
– Gained an understanding of leather types and tanning methods
– Understood what it means to work with different leather types and thicknesses and have the ability to source and select the correct tools and materials for your projects.
– Gained confidence in using specific tools for preparing, marking, finishing and cutting leather.
– Understood and practiced leather craft techniques such as beveling and burnishing techniques
– Learnt basic leather hand sewing techniques
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
Below is a list of topics covered during the classes:
– Understanding leather: overviews on types of leather, tanning, finishings and best use
– Vegan leathers: an overview on different types and features
– Understanding the importance of choosing the right materials for your project and the right tools for your materials
– Leather preparing, pattern placement and marking on leather
– Cutting complex shapes using a variety of tools
– Using leather punches
– Understanding the use of skiving, beveling and grooving
– Finishing leather edges: painting vs burnishing
– Using various leather glues and tapes
– Understand the use of reinforcements, fusings and stabilisers to back leather
– To learn basic leather hand sewing techniques
– To understand the tools and materials used in saddle stitching
– Prototyping and manufacturing leather goods: mentions of different working methods, machines and tools
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
We will always try to cover as much on the syllabus as possible and depending on your ability and previous experience, we might not be able to complete the program or we might instead be able to teach you additional techniques relating to the above listed topics, such as:
– Understanding fittings, closure types, fastening techniques and tools: sam browns, magnets, pop buttons, eyelets, etc
– Sew and finish simple zips styles, handles and straps
– Understanding options and the construction of how to line bags and accessories
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
You will be provided with useful digital and paper handouts which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (physically in London and online)
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for total beginners, beginners with some experience and intermediate.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.