– BAG MAKING: LEARN HOW TO SEW LEATHER AND MAKE YOUR OWN PERSONALISED TOTE BAG –
WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a seven one to one lesson during which you will realise your own unique, personalised, fully lined leather tote bag and get to take it home with you.
This is a one to one course during which you will be taught the basic skills of working with leather and learn how to use specific tools for splitting, cutting, finishing and fastening fittings.
The course has the aim of helping you gain confidence in sewing leather, understanding the major difference between various types of leather, working with tools and learning essential techniques to deal with tricky features of leather goods construction.
You will create your own pattern and be able to personalise your item by choosing among a range of stylish details, such as:
– Creating a surface design by using contrasting colours (optional)
– Choosing your closure type
– Choosing your tote bag shape
– Creating a painted detail with leather paint (optional)
– Adding a simple pocket
– Choosing your own handles/straps features
– Choosing your lining colour
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
– Leather preparation, cutting, marking and finishing techniques
– Understanding leather weight and features, choosing materials according to the specific look/feel you want to achieve
– Learning major characteristics of different types of industrial sewing machines and exercise on them
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material/project.
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing.
– To understand thread types and needle sizes.
– To sew practical stitches, troubleshoot problems and learn general maintenance of the sewing machine.
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes.
– Adapting patterns and understanding tricks to customise them to your specifications.
– To start and complete your own, customised, leather tote bag!
For those whom might already have some experience of the above, you may also be able to learn some of the below topics:
– To sew and finish zips on leather.
– To sew a dart and use fusing.
– Different closure techniques, magnets, studs and pop buttons.
– Leather glues and finishing products.
– The use of reinforcements to back leather.
– Using leather stamps and knives.
– Learning how to cut and sew different types of straps and handles.
Depending on the nature of the feature of your own project, your previous experience and personal skills, you might not be able to learn all of the above.
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (physically in London and online)
– A glossary containing essential key words related to the topic of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for people with some basic experience of machine sewing, intermediate and advanced sewers.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
Materials are included but you are also free to bring you own, just let us know when booking and make sure the leather is not thicker than 1-1.2mm.
If you choose to purchase your materials elsewhere we will, of course, deduct the cost.
Feel free to bring a notepad, if you would like to take some notes, we will provide the rest.
ON THE DAY:
Teas and coffees will be provided by us.
For 3+ hours long sessions we will have a 15 minutes break, for 6+ hours long sessions we will have a half hour lunch break.
There are two coffee shops and free parking spaces on site.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
Our classes are refundable and can be rearranged, provided 48 hours notice before the start date of the lesson(s) is given.
In case of cancellation, the payment will be sent back within 48 hours from when the cancellation has been provided in writing.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you can’t attend, thank you.
Cutting material is usually done standing at a high table and you might be working with special glues, knives and with heavy duty industrial sewing machines.
If you have a breathing problem, any health condition we should be aware of or if any of the above might be difficult for you, please inform us as soon as possible.
You will receive Health and Safety instructions for using the studio and its equipment and you will be asked to sign a risk and liability form at the end of the induction.
Sadly, our studio is on the first floor and we do not have wheelchair facilities. We are very sorry, unfortunately, this is not within our control or choice.
Wifi is not provided but there is a coffee shop with Wifi nearby.
ABOUT THE TEACHERS
Our names are Sara and Melissa and we are the founders and owners of The London Leather Workshop.
With 15 years of experience in sewing, designing and pattern making, we discovered our passion for teaching while training people during our working careers.
We have both studied fashion and costume in Italy, as well as worked for different small to medium size Italian brands on both designing and sampling positions, gaining a wide range of skills.
After the Italian years, we moved to London in 2011, where we had the possibility to learn different approaches to creativity and practical knowledge in the fashion and design world.
During our careers, we worked in the leather goods, accessories, textile, evening dresses and bridal high-end markets as designers, sample makers and product developers. We also gained experience in fashion, graphic design and illustration.
Our approach is personal, friendly and flexible and we support students and startups looking for a creative environment by offering multiple services at reasonable prices.
We are two passionate friends that love teaching others and hope to transmit our love for the arts and crafts!
INTERESTED IN OUR ONE TO ONE TUITION?
ASK FOR OUR AVAILABILITY BUY USING THE FORM AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU SHORTLY!
WONDERING WHAT OTHERS REALISED?
WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?
We run a variety of courses which are related to this topic and that would allow you to expand your knowledge. Please find the complete list of courses HERE.
We also provide private tuition as well as the opportunity for people to practise on our sewing machines.
We reserve a special discount for people who have previously been a student of ours. If you book any of our courses or our drop-in service within 6 months from the completion of a class, you will receive 10% off your next booking.