– BAG MAKING: LEARN HOW TO SEW LEATHER AND MAKE YOUR OWN PERSONALISED LEATHER CLUTCH BAG –
One to one tuition
During our working hours
View our available dates at the checkout
From 188 (5 hours)
Some basic experience of using sewing machines is required
WHAT IS THIS COURSE ABOUT?
This is a five hour one to one lesson during which you will realise your own unique, personalised leather clutch bag and get to take it home with you.
This is a one to one course during which you will be taught the basic skills of working with leather and learn how to use specific tools for splitting, cutting, finishing and fastening fittings.
The course has the aim of helping you gain confidence in sewing leather, understanding the major difference between various types of leather, working with tools and learning essential techniques to deal with tricky features of leather goods construction.
You will create your own pattern and be able to personalise your item by choosing among a range of stylish details, such as:
– Creating a surface design by using contrasting colours
– Choosing your closure type
– Choosing your clutch shape
– Creating a painted detail with leather paint
– Adding a simple pocket
– Adding a simple wrist strap
– Choosing your own leather
– Choosing your own zip colour
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
– Adapting patterns and understanding tricks to customise them to your specifications
– Leather preparation, cutting, marking and finishing techniques
– Understanding leather weight and features, choosing materials according to the specific look/feel you want to achieve
– Learning major characteristics of different types of industrial sewing machines and exercise on them
– To choose the right sewing machine for a specific type of material/project.
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing.
– To understand thread types and needle sizes.
– To sew practical stitches, troubleshoot problems and learn general maintenance of the sewing machine.
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes.
– To start and complete your own, customised, leather clutch bag!
For those whom might already have some experience of the above, you may also be able to learn some of the below topics:
– To sew and finish zips on leather.
– To sew a dart and use fusing.
– Different closure techniques, magnets, studs and pop buttons
– Leather glues and finishing products
– The use of reinforcements to back leather
– Using leather stamps and knives
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
This course is suitable for beginners, people with some basic experience of machine sewing, intermediate and advanced sewers.
You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written English instructions.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER COSTS? IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO BRING?
Materials are not included but you can either purchase them from us or buy them from other suppliers.
If you prefer to bring you own, just let us know when booking and make sure the leather is not thicker than 1-1.2mm.
Our leather skins and offcuts are the cheapest in London but our stock is limited. Our leather is sourced from Italian brands’ end of production surplus and also from small Italian tanneries when they change their stock of leather skins. The stock is being continuously changed and therefore you will be choosing from colours, textures and types of leathers available at the studio. To have an idea of the leathers we can provide, please visit our dedicated page: https://www.thelondonleatherworkshop.com/leathers/
If you are looking for something in particular that we don’t stock, we will provide you with a list of suppliers to buy materials from and advice on what to buy for your specific project once you have purchased your lesson.
INCLUDED IN THE COURSE:
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (physically in London and online)
– A glossary containing essential key words related to the topic of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics